Saturday, October 4, 2008

Conned by unscrupulous eB*y seller selling Tannoy SRM12B (Super Red Monitor)

Buyers beware!

Let me share with you my bad experience on eB*y USA. :( I seldom buy stuffs from eB*y USA as the shipping cost a bom but I got no choice as there weren't many Tannoy audiophiles in Malaysia. Those who are seldom wanted to part with their belowed Tannoy speakers.

I saw a pair of Tannoy Darking SL35 (198x model, huge bookshelf with 10" Dual-Concentric with rubber surrounds) posted at an local (Malaysia) online site today (4OCT2008) selling used hifi gears. They were snatched within hours. I saw it in the morning and it was sold in the afternoon. Now that's call hot cake! :)

Do you guys have any bad experiences as well? Share with me please.

Picture taken while it was at my good friend's place in USA.

I bidded for a pair of supposedly good condition Tannoy SRM12B. SRM12B uses DCC-3149, 12" Dual-Concentric driver with pleated-rubberized cloth surround and paper cone with a dustcap. They're made in the 80's. The picture below looks fine right? It turned out to be nightmare for me. The claimed condition was excellent without any cosmetic flaws but I got more than what I bidded for.


Both the drivers have cracked surrounds that had to be replaced. One of the speakers had the spider damaged due to over-driving. The other speaker had the tweeter damaged due to moisture. The total reconing (*2 woofers) and tweeter replacements cost was U$550 for a pair of U$800 bidded price. That was not fun at all.

Luckily the nightmare ended here after the repair. Cathy at www.speakerex.com is a gem. I got the drivers refurbished with original cones and tweeters from Tannoy and now they're in mint condition. They work great and they've glorious sound! They're very efficient speakers boasting 95dB/w/m @ 8 Ohms. I've no problem blasting and watching movies with a 5W EL34 SET (DIY).